Friday, September 18, 2009

The longest lightning Storm on Saturn

Lightning storm are very frightening than what you would picture. For about 7.5 months a lightening storm was found active in Saturn. Scientists say that this would be the longest recorded lightning storm in the solar system. It was also determined that the lightning storm was 10000 times stronger that regular thunder storms in Saturn. The storm reaches to about 1900 miles in diameter and is located in a region call "Storm Alley", which is just off the equator. It seems very peculiar that the lightning storm occurs in a certain area, but Scientist think that it is caused by the vertical convection of water clouds, or even seasons. In my opinion, I find this interesting because I did not know that lightning storms could stay that long. I also find it scary because of a recent experience I had when going to Philadelphia my family and I encounter a powerful lightning storm. As a result, I was able to see the lightning strike right in front of my car and froze all of our brains. Imaging a lightning storm more than 10000 times stronger than that makes me surprised. In summation, these are some recent events that have occurred in the past few months.

http://www.livescience.com/space/090914-saturn-lightning-record.html

No comments:

Post a Comment